The Visitor Services Associate position is a fast-paced, dynamic job that is both fun and rewarding. We expect potential Visitor Services Associates to have a strong work ethic, the ability to multitask, and the stamina to keep calm under pressure. Applicants should be honest, hardworking, genuine, outgoing, and amiable.
The Visitor Center is a gateway for museum admission and a rapidly growing New York centric book and gift store. We have a wide range of specialty gifts and a wonderfully curated book selection. Our goal is to provide our customers with a great experience that is complimented by our quality products and exemplary customer service.
Visitor Services Associates are responsible for the following:
We are seeking full-time and part-time sales associates. Applicants must have flexible availability with nights (some shifts are until 11:00pm) and weekends are a must.
Interested? Please click on the following link and apply online: https://workforcenow.adp.com/jobs/apply/posting.html?client=tenement&jobId=65967&lang=en_US&source=CC3
The Lower East Side Tenement Museum will be seeking Eloise Susanna Gale Fellows for its summer 2016 internship program. The internship program at the Tenement Museum offers interns hands-on-training in the museum profession as well as a comprehensive overview of museum operations. Interns are paired with senior museum professionals in the Curatorial and Education departments. Internships will be open to college and graduate students interested in pursuing experiences in a small museum setting in their particular field.
Internships will begin the first week of June and run through the middle of August for a total of 10 weeks. Interns should expect to commit to 4 days (28 hours) a week. Interns receive a stipend of $1,000 and two monthly MetroCards.
The Lower East Side Tenement Museum seeks an Archival Intern to work with the Museum’s institutional archives as overseen by the Curatorial Department. The intern will be responsible for archival processing of institutional records, including rehousing documents, archival arrangement and filing, as well as updating the archival finding aid. The intern may also assist the Collections Manager in other museum collections duties as necessary including inventory of storage spaces, cataloguing and rehousing museum objects, and monitoring the conditions of the historic tenement building.
This intern must have some prior experience or knowledge of archival processing procedures and description techniques. Knowledge of collections management practices and object handling procedures, with a keen eye for detail also a plus. The intern must be able to work independently with excellent interpersonal and communication skills utilizing a proactive approach to projects as assigned. Preference will be given to students enrolled in an archival management program or those with a serious interest in pursuing a career in archives or museums.
Please apply with a cover letter, resume and references via the following link: https://workforcenow.adp.com/jobs/apply/posting.html?client=tenement&jobId=88227&lang=en_US&source=CC3
Development Department Internship
The development department raises funds from foundation, corporate, government, and individual sources to support the Museum’s operating budget and a capital campaign for the creation of a brand new exhibition scheduled to open in mid-2017.
The department seeks an intern with an interest in museum studies, fundraising, special events, and/or arts administration to:
The ideal candidate will possess a friendly and positive demeanor, strong writing skills, and the ability to be discreet. Interns will have the opportunity to learn how to utilize Altru, a fundraising and ticketing platform, and MailChimp, an email and marketing service.
Please apply with your cover letter, resume and references via the following link: https://workforcenow.adp.com/jobs/apply/posting.html?client=tenement&jobId=88228&lang=en_US&source=CC3
Research and Exhibit Development Internship
The Tenement Museum seeks an intern to assist its Exhibit Development Team with research necessary for the creation of its next exhibit, which will interpret the post-World War II Lower East Side, including the stories of Puerto Rican migrants and Chinese immigrants during the 1960s and 1970s. Specifically, the intern will conduct research necessary for the exhibit at 103 Orchard Street, now home to its Visitor & Educator Center.
The intern will develop exhibit research and planning skills and be exposed to the multiple facets of museum exhibition design as s/he works with the Exhibit Development Team to research its next exhibit. Tasks will include conducting in-depth historical research in various archives and libraries throughout
The internship is a good fit for students in History, American Studies, Museum Studies, Historic Preservation, Public History or Journalism. The ideal candidate will be able to work independently and have knowledge of basic museum practices, solid research skills, an eye for detail, and a passion for practicing history in public. Preference will be given to students with a serious interest in pursuing a museum career.
Please apply with your cover letter, resume and references via the following link: https://workforcenow.adp.com/jobs/apply/posting.html?client=tenement&jobId=88967&lang=en_US&source=CC2
The Shop at the Tenement Museum is a rapidly growing New York centric book and gift store. We have a wide range of specialty gifts and a wonderfully curated book selection. Our goal is to provide our customers with a great shopping experience that is complimented by our quality products and exemplary customer service.
The Assistant Manager must be well-versed in all museum programs, tours, and events as well as shop merchandise; both books and gifts. The Assistant Manager spends a majority of his/her time on the sales floor where he/she prioritizes tasks with an attention to detail while ensuring a visitor-first focus. The Assistant Manager must be able to operate both Retail Pro and Altru. This is a full-time position that reports to the Director of the Shop.
· Recruiting and developing a Sales Team: Post job postings for sales associates, interviews and identifies potential candidates. The Assistant Manager is responsible for directly supervising all sales associates which includes training and developing sales associates; creating daily and weekly schedules; submitting payroll for part-time employees; and managing employee performance.
· Customer Service: Ensures that all sales staff serve as a resource on product information as well as information about the Tenement Museum. Support the Visitor Services team by assisting in managing floor traffic and directing visitors to Museum facilities. It is important that the Assistant Manager have knowledge of the neighborhood and be able to make recommendations to visitors.
· Flexibility: The Assistant Manager has a flexible schedule. He/she is available to cover shifts and pitch in where needed.
· Selling merchandise: The Assistant Manager must take an active role in being knowledgeable in both the book and gift merchandise and must oversee the staff working on the registers, taking telephone orders and fulfilling web orders. Responsibilities also include maintaining the sales floor by straightening, organizing, cleaning, and restocking merchandise ensuring visual presentation of the sales floor is at the highest standards.
· Assist in inventory management & loss prevention: Track sales of merchandise and take cycle counts. Actively participate in organizing and executing the annual inventory.
· Open and close the shop, regularly, running daily reports and sending sales figures to the Director. Handle cash according to established procedures.
· Exemplifying professional and ethical behaviors; follow all Tenement Museum policy and procedures.
Actively seeks new challenges and increased responsibility.
· Bachelor’s degree required. Prior experience working with retail software is required (experience with Retail Pro a plus); working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel are required.
· Five years of experience managing a retail operation, including staff performance management, inventory control and retail system management.
· Must have experience buying merchandise, placing purchase orders, negotiating pricing, walking tradeshows, managing vendor relations and shipment logistics.
· An Interest/passion for reading and books, especially those related to New York History and immigration.
· Excellent communication, interpersonal, and customer service skills required. Detail-oriented person, with accuracy in record keeping is essential.
· This is a physically demanding position requiring frequent lifting and carrying of cartons and books. It also demands standing much of the time. Regular weekend and some holiday hours required.
To Apply: Please submit the following required documents (1) a cover letter (2) a list of your three favorite stores to shop at and why; and (3) your resume (all in either PDF or .doc form) via the following link:
The Lower East Side Tenement Museum is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to making all personnel decisions without regard to age, race, creed, religion, color, national origin, disability, marital status, citizenship, pregnancy, sexual orientation, veteran status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, or any other category protected by law.