How the Tenement Changed--Light

A mock-up of gas light that would have been used in the Gumpertz apartment, c.1878
Showing Picture 3 of 8
Back Next

In the 1860s, tenements were dark places. At 97 Orchard Street, only the parlor rooms had exterior windows. There was originally no gas light or electricity. Residents relied on kerosene or oil lamps to light the way through dark hallways and rooms.

When was light added to the building?